Firefighters battle two-alarm house fire in Sunnyside
Posted: Jan 26, 2013 11:37 AM MT
Last Updated: Jan 26, 2013 5:06 PM MT
Firefighters battled a two-alarm fire in Calgary’s Sunnyside neighbourhood Saturday.
The fire in attic of a home on the 200 block of 9 Street N. W. in Sunnyside was hard to control.
“We have a second-alarm fire here so there’d probably be in the neighbourhood of 40 firefighters and 10 apparatus here right now,” said Trevor Kerr, with the Calgary Fire Department.
“The difficulties getting to this fire are accessing the third floor, heavy heat and smoke conditions.”
Eventually the fire was successfully put out and crews assisted the residents with retrieving their vaulables from the mulit-family residence.
Crews remained on the scene to monitor the building for any hot spots.
Officials say everyone who lives in the home made it out without injuries.
However, the Calgary Emergency Managment Agency and the Canadian Red Cross had to make alternate accommodations for six of the building's occupants.
An investigation into the cause of the fire is now underway.
Latest Calgary News Headlines
- Talking Keystone, Redford says Canada and U.S. share energy values
- Alberta Premier Alison Redford says the United States and Canada share political and environmental values and must work together to become energy independent of those who do not. more »
- Preventative health care for unhealthy could save billions
- Billions of dollars could be saved in Canada's health-care system with the introduction of preventative programs that focus on those individuals in poor health, says a study by the School of Public Policy at the University of Calgary. more »
- Elderly woman killed in Cochrane crash
- A 70-year-old woman is dead this afternoon after a three-vehicle crash just inside the town limits of Cochrane, located west of Calgary. more »
- Homeless numbers drop in Calgary, Edmonton
- Calgary and Edmonton are leading the way in efforts to reduce homelessness and create solutions, finds a new national study. more »
Top News Headlines
- Sopranos star James Gandolfini dies in Italy
- James Gandolfini, whose portrayal of a brutal, emotionally delicate mob boss in HBO's 'The Sopranos' helped create one of TV's greatest drama series and turned the mobster stereotype on its head, died Wednesday in Italy. He was 51. more »
- B.C. First Nation sets fires to save bison
- A First Nation band is reviving the age-old practice of controlled burning in order to improve the health of forests and restore the population of the wood bison in a corner of northeastern B.C. more »
- Canada buys rare War of 1812 collection for $573K
- The government of Canada was the winning bidder for a large collection of letters, maps and other papers that once belonged to Sir John Sherbrooke, the lieutenant-governor of Nova Scotia who conquered Maine for the British during the War of 1812. The collection sold for $573,000 at auction in London. more »
- Bob Rae quits as MP in 'very emotional' decision
- Bob Rae, who has represented the Toronto Centre riding for the Liberals since 2008, is stepping down as a Member of Parliament to devote more time to his work as a negotiator for First Nations in Northern Ontario. more »
- Motorcyclist takes photos of wolf chasing him on highway
- Loblaw testing small discount-store format in Calgary
- Brazilian man blinded by stray bullet embarks on new career
- Violent serial attacker sent to prison indefinitely
- Calgary's new school construction comes with condition
- 6 youth charged in airport car theft ring
- City officials hope pop-up park will open in August
- Stress levels affecting performance at Calgary university
- 6 ways to have a picnic in Calgary