Calgary police investigate 1st homicide of 2013
Posted: Jan 8, 2013 1:13 PM MT
Last Updated: Jan 8, 2013 9:16 PM MT
Police have declared a fatal stabbing at a small house party in the northeast as Calgary's first homicide this year.
Police arrived at a home on Taradale Close just before 6 a.m. on Jan. 5 after getting a call that a man had been stabbed. The man, later identified as Matthew John Brown, was taken to hospital where he died.
Only one person was with Brown when paramedics arrived, said Staff Sgt. Grant Miller, but police believe he was hosting a small house party when an altercation broke out that ended with the stabbing.
"We have spoken to some people who were present with him during the evening. And to this point, we feel they've been co-operative. Our challenge here is he was with a group of people that went to a few locations during the evening that ended up at his residence," said Miller.
Police are also investigating where Brown was before returning to his home that morning and the people he'd spent time with.
"It kind of sounds like they went to a few different places throughout the city," Miller said. "Some of the people he was with he knew – he was friends with – but we aren't sure about everyone."
Latest Calgary News Headlines
- Crews respond to Inglewood blaze
- Fire heavily damaged two homes in Inglewood Saturday afternoon near Eighth Street S.E. and MacDonald Avenue. more »
- Homeowner says he was swindled out of his own property
- A Calgary homeowner says he was swindled out of his own property by a realtor he thought was trying to help him. more »
- RCMP investigating after man dies in Gleichen
- RCMP are investigating the death of a 26-year-old man at his home in the town of Gleichen, near Calgary. more »
- Langevin Bridge will go green for Lyme awareness
- The Langevin Bridge will go green Saturday night for Lyme disease awareness. more »
Top News Headlines
- Rescue attempt over for New Brunswick fishermen
- The rescue attempt for two missing fishermen has been called off in New Brunswick, hours after one body was found. more »
- Spectator killed at Edmonton Jeep event
- A 20-year-old woman died Saturday during an event for Jeep enthusiasts held in a parking lot just west of downtown Edmonton. more »
- Astronaut Chris Hadfield adjusts to 'earthling' life
- Canada's space ambassador, Chris Hadfield, is still readapting to life on this planet after spending 146 days in zero gravity as commander of the International Space Station. For now, though, he's taking his homecoming one step at a time. more »
- Afghan legislators block law protecting women
- An Afghan legislator says conservative lawmakers have blocked approval of a law that aims to protect women's freedoms, saying parts of it violate Islamic principles. more »
- Danielle Smith asks RCMP to investigate Sandhu
- Evanston victims died by stabbing, police say
- Lock your doors, police warn
- Power outage cost ENMAX $20M
- Calgary fire ban lifted
- Chat replay: Your gardening questions answered
- Family angry after Calgary police chief defends shooting
- Alberta to open 6 new trade offices
- Fire destroys, damages 2 homes hours after ban lifted