Pets banned from airline cargo holds this Christmas
Posted: Nov 19, 2012 6:18 PM MT
Last Updated: Nov 19, 2012 6:12 PM MT
Calgarians planning to travel with pets this holiday season may have to revise their plans.
Both major airlines are not accepting pets as cargo this holiday season.
“There is a blackout period, there is an embargo by both WestJet and Air Canada placed on pets being transported as checked baggage with you as a ticketed passenger or booked as cargo,” said Karen Shiel, who owns a relocation company that helps people move with their pets.
Some smaller pets will be allowed in the cabin.
The Calgary Eyeopener’s Angela Knight spoke with Shiel on Monday morning, listen to the audio above for Shiel's advice.
Latest Calgary News Headlines
- Calgarians should take rain precautions, city advises
- With Calgary and many parts of southern Alberta expecting a lot of rain over the next few days, officials are telling people to take some precautions. more »
- Trudeau raises environmental questions over pipeline
- Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau says a proposed west-east pipeline project will not go forward unless it addresses key environmental concerns. more »
- Calgary man charged with murder in 2012 killing
- Police have charged a man with first-degree murder in connection with a killing outside a southwest Calgary strip mall one year ago. more »
- Stampeders' Jon Cornish motivated by Grey Cup loss
- Star Canadian running back Jon Cornish wants to work on his pass routes this season but his coach will be smiling if he just continues doing what he did last year. more »
Top News Headlines
- How was the Mike Duffy report 'whitewashed?'
- Opposition parties pushed the government on Thursday to answer questions about the "whitewashed" Duffy report while the RCMP is also seeking more information from the Senate as part of its review of questionable expenses. more »
- 2nd suspect in Tim Bosma murder case to plead not guilty
- The lawyer for Mark Smich says the Oakville, Ont., resident will plead not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of Tim Bosma, the Hamilton man who disappeared earlier this month after taking two men on a test drive of his truck. more »
- SNC-Lavalin letter says Gadhafi son offered VP post: RCMP
- SNC-Lavalin's ties to Libya's former dictatorship ran so deep the company offered the son of Moammar Gadhafi a six-figure job as a vice president in 2008, according to a newly unsealed RCMP affidavit. more »
- Canada Post campaigns against 'no flyers' mailbox signs
- Canada Post has been mailing more than 900,000 letters across the country to people to try to convince them to remove "no flyer" signs from their mailboxes. more »
- Calgary teen found dead had been in provincial care
- Alberta's pest list includes 60 critters
- Northwest Calgary park set for overhaul
- Busy parking spots in Calgary may soon cost more
- Animals rescued from shelter in SPCA probe
- Liam, Emma, most popular names for Alberta babies
- Lindale fire doubles in size within hours
- S.E. Calgary man missing since February
- Danielle Smith slams Redford at Calgary leader's dinner