Freezing rain warnings, power outages hit southern Alberta
Posted: Nov 1, 2012 5:03 PM MT
Last Updated: Nov 1, 2012 4:55 PM MT
A freezing rain warning that will last into the evening has been issued for the bulk of southern Alberta.
The warning extends from Drayton Valley to Milk River.
Environment Canada says a disturbance moving in from southern B.C. will spread rain into the area while a northerly flow brings in cooler temperatures near the ground.A freezing rain warning has been issued for the areas highlighted in red. (weatheroffice.gc.ca)
The freezing rain area will move southeastward this evening and into the Lethbridge area by midnight.
CBC meteorologist Danielle Savoni says the freezing rain is expected to end tonight in the Calgary area, but people in the southern portions of the province could face icy conditions for their morning commute.
"I'm concerned about tonight because visibility is low and we might get snow on top of that, which could create dangerous driving conditions," she said. "It's not a good combination, and the roads could still be slippery in the morning."
The freezing rain has led to some power outages in central Alberta.
Fortis says pockets of customers around Olds, Bowden and Red Deer are without electricity at this hour.
There were also power outages in rural communities around Vulcan, Lacombe and Pincher Creek, but technicians have been able to restore power to those areas.
Fortis spokesperson Jennifer MacGowan says if power cannot be restored by tonight they will alert affected customers.
ATCO customers also affected
Power is also out for ATCO customers in southern Alberta.
Alan Gano, the ATCO district manager for the East Central district, says they had a major transmission outage near Drumheller which was restored around 4 p.m. MT.
There were also power outages in the Rawly and Three Hills areas.
He said there are still small pockets of people affected in rural areas because of the weather.
ATCO asks that anyone who sees a downed power line or pole should call the emergency line: 1-800-668-5506, which is the line customers can use to phone for updates.
Latest Calgary News Headlines
- Unlicensed teen ticketed for high-speed drive
- A teenage girl without a licence pulled over for speeding on a highway near Calgary is facing several charges. more »
- Harper's constituents react to chief of staff's resignation
- Residents of Prime Minister Stephen Harper's constituency of Calgary Southwest are weighing in on Nigel Wright's departure. more »
- Wheelchair rugby grows in popularity
- Wheelchair rugby is seeing a rise in popularity across Alberta, with clubs in Calgary and Edmonton reporting new members. more »
- Edmonton driver, 62, charged in boy's patio death
- A 62-year-old Edmonton man is facing numerous impaired driving-related charges after a two-year-old boy was killed when a SUV crashed through a dining patio at a south Edmonton restaurant Sunday night. more »
Top News Headlines
- Unknown remains found on Dellen Millard's farm
- Police searching the farm of Dellen Millard, the 27-year-old charged with first-degree murder after the remains of Ancaster, Ont., man Tim Bosma were discovered, have found other remains on the property, but it's unclear if they are human or animal. more »
- Canadian on EI shut out amid foreign worker influx
- A jobless Canadian IT professional who is collecting employment insurance is upset because he now suspects several recent jobs he applied for went to temporary foreign workers. more »
- Can the Senate fire a senator?
- An expert on parliamentary rules says the Senate has the power to turf a senator from the chamber, as long as a majority approves the expulsion, and as long as there is cause. more »
- Tornado strikes school in Oklahoma City suburb
- A more than one-kilometre wide tornado hit an elementary school in an Oklahoma City suburb on Monday, say authorities, as twisters churned through the city's suburbs for the second day in a row. more »
- Lethbridge massage therapist charged with sexual assault
- Police nab Calgary motorcyclist at 180 km/h
- Missing teen found
- Six campers rescued after getting lost in Kananaskis Country
- Calgary police arrest 2 following minor explosions
- It's all Greek to yogurt fans
- 1 person hurt after trains collide near Medicine Hat
- Edmonton boy, 2, killed after car hits patio
- Downtown Kiss-In marks Anti-Homophobia Day