2 dead after Calgary-area rafting, bridge jumping mishaps
Rafting accident happened near Longview, while 2nd man died near Cochrane
Posted: Jul 22, 2012 5:32 PM MT
Last Updated: Jul 24, 2012 5:57 AM MT
A man is dead after a rafting accident on the Highwood river in southern Alberta on Sunday afternoon.
The 35-year-old was with four others on a raft when it overturned, according to emergency crews. The rest of the group made it to shore.
A group of people in a second raft found the man unconscious downstream by the bank of the river.
EMS tried to resuscitate him, but he died on scene.
The group was all wearing life jackets and helmets, said Turner Valley RCMP Cons. Tom Christy
“This river is a popular recreation area and it is one that requires a great deal of safety and cautiousness.”
Christy warned people to be careful for the rest of the summer, urging revelers not to take their safety for granted.
RCMP on scene said the river is really dangerous.
“It is, certainly for the emergency personnel that attend these kinds of scenes, it is very saddening to have to deal with this kind of thing."
The incident happened on the Highwood River, about eight kilometers west of Longview, Alta., off of Highway 41, said STARS Air Ambulance spokesperson Cam Heke.
STARS was called in case the man needed to be flown to hospital.
Longview is approximately an hour and a half drive southwest of Calgary.
Bridge jumping accident near Cochrane
Another man is dead after jumping off a bridge at Ghost Lake, west of Calgary.
A group of five jumped into the lake; Christopher Smallwood didn’t resurface.
Nearby divers pulled the 21-year-old Calgary man out of the Cochrane-area recreational area and took him to shore. He was in life-threatening condition when emergency crews arrived.
STARS was on scene to transport him to a Calgary hospital, but the man died at the lake.
The initial request for an air ambulance to do an aerial search for a missing person was made just before 5:15 p.m. MT.
Cochrane is about a half hour drive northwest of Calgary.
Latest Calgary News Headlines
- Lindale residents preparing for 2nd night away from home
- Wildfires in Brazeau and Strathcona counties are holding, but many residents in Lindale will likely not be permitted to return home today. more »
- Fever medicine for infants, children under recall
- Quality concerns with a Chinese producer of acetaminophen have prompted a recall of four fever medications meant for infants and children. more »
- Calgary school board staff's $15K New Zealand trip questioned
- Calgary's public school board says a $15,000 trip to attend a conference on thinking in New Zealand for its chief superintendant Naomi Johnson and two staff members was worth it. more »
- Trudeau raises environmental questions over pipeline
- Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau says a proposed west-east pipeline project will not go forward unless it addresses key environmental concerns. more »
Top News Headlines
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford fires chief of staff
- A week after bombshell allegations that Toronto Mayor Rob ford was videotaped smoking crack, the mayor's chief of staff was fired and Ford is continuing to stonewall reporters. more »
- 2nd suspect in Tim Bosma murder case to plead not guilty
- The lawyer for Mark Smich says the Oakville, Ont., resident will plead not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of Tim Bosma, the Hamilton man who disappeared earlier this month after taking two men on a test drive of his truck. more »
- SNC-Lavalin letter says Gadhafi son offered VP post: RCMP
- SNC-Lavalin's ties to Libya's former dictatorship ran so deep the company offered the son of Moammar Gadhafi a six-figure job as a vice president in 2008, according to a newly unsealed RCMP affidavit. more »
- Federal Court won't remove MPs over robocall allegations
- The Federal Court says it won't throw six MPs out of seats over allegations of widespread vote suppression through automated robocalls in the 2011 federal election. more »
- Calgary teen found dead had been in provincial care
- Alberta's pest list includes 60 critters
- Northwest Calgary park set for overhaul
- Southern Alberta braces for heavy rainfall, snow
- Calgary man charged with murder in 2012 killing
- Rain, snow in K-Country prompts rescue of school campers
- Busy parking spots in Calgary may soon cost more
- Liam, Emma, most popular names for Alberta babies
- Animals rescued from shelter in SPCA probe