Driver in fatal hit and run near Irricana released on bail
Funeral held for victim — a nurse and mother of one who was celebrating her 51st birthday
Posted: Jun 28, 2012 7:55 AM MT
Last Updated: Jun 28, 2012 4:18 PM MT
The Calgary man accused in a fatal hit and run near Irricana, Alta., has been released on bail.
A woman from Beiseker, Alta., was killed last Thursday when her SUV collided with a Dodge Ram pickup on Highway 9.
When police arrived on scene there were two vehicles, but the driver of the second vehicle was gone.
The man was later arrested when he turned himself in.
Lloyd Louis Gerard, 40, is charged with dangerous driving causing death and failing to remain at the scene of a collision.
"The most onerous one is the judge has prohibited him from driving a motor vehicle," said Gerard's lawyer Ryan Claxton about the bail conditions. "Other than that, he will be on a curfew and he'll be required to remain in his residence during that curfew from 10 until six in the morning, I believe it was."
Gerard will be back in court on August 16.
Funeral held for victim
A funeral service was held Thursday morning for Raelene Schmaltz, the nurse who was killed in the fatal hit and run.The 51-year-old driver of this SUV succumbed to her injuries after being hit by a pickup truck last Thursday. (RCMP)
She was celebrating her 51st birthday.
The funeral for the mother of one was held in her hometown of Beiseker.
Beiseker is a one-hour drive northeast of Calgary.
Latest Calgary News Headlines
- Crews respond to Inglewood blaze
- Fire heavily damaged two homes in Inglewood Saturday afternoon near Eighth Street S.E. and MacDonald Avenue. more »
- Homeowner says he was swindled out of his own property
- A Calgary homeowner says he was swindled out of his own property by a realtor he thought was trying to help him. more »
- RCMP investigating after man dies in Gleichen
- RCMP are investigating the death of a 26-year-old man at his home in the town of Gleichen, near Calgary. more »
- Langevin Bridge will go green for Lyme awareness
- The Langevin Bridge will go green Saturday night for Lyme disease awareness. more »
Top News Headlines
- Rescue attempt over for New Brunswick fishermen
- The rescue attempt for two missing fishermen has been called off in New Brunswick, hours after one body was found. more »
- Spectator killed at Edmonton Jeep event
- A 20-year-old woman died Saturday during an event for Jeep enthusiasts held in a parking lot just west of downtown Edmonton. more »
- Astronaut Chris Hadfield adjusts to 'earthling' life
- Canada's space ambassador, Chris Hadfield, is still readapting to life on this planet after spending 146 days in zero gravity as commander of the International Space Station. For now, though, he's taking his homecoming one step at a time. more »
- Afghan legislators block law protecting women
- An Afghan legislator says conservative lawmakers have blocked approval of a law that aims to protect women's freedoms, saying parts of it violate Islamic principles. more »
- Danielle Smith asks RCMP to investigate Sandhu
- Evanston victims died by stabbing, police say
- Lock your doors, police warn
- Power outage cost ENMAX $20M
- Calgary fire ban lifted
- Chat replay: Your gardening questions answered
- Family angry after Calgary police chief defends shooting
- Alberta to open 6 new trade offices
- Fire destroys, damages 2 homes hours after ban lifted