Shelby Herchak will not face trial in death of her newborn
Calgary mother expected to make a plea Oct. 21
A young Calgary mother accused of killing her baby boy in 2010 will not go on trial.
Shelby Herchak is charged with second-degree murder in the death of her 26-day-old son Daniel.
Police say the boy died of blunt force trauma.
Her trial was supposed to start next week, but it was cancelled today in a Calgary courtroom.
Her lawyer says she will instead enter a plea on Oct. 21, but wouldn't say what that plea is.
"What I'm anticipating happening is a plea will be entered and between now and then the Crown and I will work on an agreed statement of facts and hopefully the matter will be completely resolved on that day," said lawyer Kim Ross.
There were several postings on Facebook alleging Herchak — who was 18 at the time — had been at a nightclub in the hours leading up to his death.
She had been released on bail, but was taken back into custody last month after she breached her release conditions.