A garage fire in Calgary's southwest that sent billowing clouds of black smoke into the air this afternoon is now under control.

The fire was in the 4400 block of 13th Avenue.

"On arrival, firefighters encountered a fully-involved garage fire," said the fire department in a release. "Within minutes, the roof of the structure collapsed due to the extensive damage from the fire."

The fire department was out in force because the garage had propane tanks and paving equipment inside.

There was some minor damage to neighbouring property but no injuries.​

"Radiant heat from the fire did cause some damage to the siding of a neighbouring garage, a fence and several windows of the home closest to the garage," said the fire department. "A vehicle parked next to the garage was also significantly damaged."

Eight homes were temporarily evacuated as a precaution and children at a neighbouring school were kept inside to prevent exposure to possible smoke in the area.