E. coli scare triggers pork product recall from Calgary stores
Hillview Meat Processor recalling raw meat and organ products distributed up to Feb. 16
Several pork and pork organ products sold in Calgary are being recalled because of possible contamination with E. coli O157:H7.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) says the meat products were supplied by Hillview Meat Processor.
The pork products, which were only distributed in Alberta, may have been turned into ground pork, sausages or ready-to-eat products, CFIA said in a release.
The recall was triggered by an ongoing investigation into a food-borne food illness outbreak in Alberta.
The investigation is continuing and could lead to other products being recalled, the agency says.
The products were distributed to the following Calgary companies:
- Paolini's Sausage and Meat Ltd — 5735 Third St. S.E.
- Trimming Fresh Meats — 3, 6219 Centre St. N.W.
- V&T Meats — 3111 17th Ave. S.E.
- Leung Ky Meat and Seafood Ltd — 1919 31st St. S.E.
- Community Foods —119, 3208 Eighth Ave. N.E.
- Hungarian Deli — 4020 26th St. S.E.
- Rocky's Sausage Haus — 37 Fourth St. N.E.
Food contaminated with E. coli might not appear or smell spoiled but can still make people sick. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramping and diarrhea.