Calgary police redeploys 48 officers to busier districts
'These reallocations will mean more officers on the street,' CPS says
The Calgary police force is redeploying four dozen officers in the spring in a bid to get more officers on patrol where they are most needed.
- MORE CALGARY NEWS | Calgary's East Village will see more police presence with new office
- MORE CALGARY NEWS | Kyle McKenzie admits to spray painting racist graffiti at Tuscany LRT
The Brae Centre and Riverbend Community Stations in District 6 in south Calgary will be closed as of May 6, allowing the Calgary Police Service to move 48 officers to other parts of the city.
"Ultimately, these reallocations will mean more officers on the street," CPS said in a release.
- 20 positions will move to District 2 in west Calgary, which stretches from Valley Ridge down to Glenmore.
- 20 positions will move to District 3 in the north, which includes neighbourhoods from Huntington Hills down to the Bow River.
- 4 positions will be redeployed to District 4, which covers several northeast communities including Forest Lawn and Marlborough.
- 4 positions will move to District 5, which includes the neighbourhoods in the northeast corner of the city.
More <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Calgary?src=hash">#Calgary</a> officers on the front line - <a href="https://t.co/usr2OSArJ3">https://t.co/usr2OSArJ3</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/yyc?src=hash">#yyc</a> <a href="https://t.co/kWbuTdGcz1">pic.twitter.com/kWbuTdGcz1</a>—@CalgaryPolice
The officers will move to their new districts on May 8.
The reallocation of officers is based on the number of calls per service per officer as well as the overall number of calls in each district, CPS said.
- MORE CRIME NEWS | Alberta parents whose toddler died of meningitis were told to visit doctor, trial hears
- MORE CRIME NEWS |
"The repurposing of the positions will address workload inequities across the service, without conducting a district realignment," the release said.
The force will try to find other positions for volunteers currently working at the District 6 community stations slated to close.