Video surveillance from Sunridge Mall was displayed in a Calgary courtroom Friday showing the accused Nathan Zuccherato and Michael Roberto buying new clothes and shoes just hours after the triple murder at the Bolsa Restaurant on New Year’s Day 2009.
Zuccherato and Roberto have pleaded not guilty to three charges of first-degree murder for the killing of Sanjeev Mann, Aaron Bendle and innocent bystander Keni Su'a in what witnesses testify to as a rival gang revenge plot.
Police informant witness M.M., whose identity is protected by a court order, told the court earlier this week that after the shooting he and his friends — who include the defendants — went to a home in the northeast.
M.M. testified that Zuccherato and Roberto left the home, bought new outfits at Sunridge and then returned with garbage bags full of the clothes they had been wearing earlier in the day for M.M. to burn in the backyard fire pit.
Calgary police gang unit Det. Todd Darrah walked the court through the video, identifying both accused, as surveillance showed them buying clothes and shoes from the exact store that M.M. said he saw shopping bags from on Jan. 1 at the home in the northeast.
The month-long trial will hear from more witnesses Friday and resume on Monday.
Two others have been charged with the murders and will appear in court at a later date.