Murder charges after student stabbed at Calgary party

Two people have been charged with second-degree murder following a fatal stabbing at a student party in a northwest Calgary house over the weekend.

Mother describes victim as a University of Calgary business student from Ponoka

Two people have been charged with second-degree murder following a fatal stabbing. 1:46

Two people have been charged with second-degree murder following a fatal stabbing at a student party in a northwest Calgary house over the weekend.

Brett Wiese, a 20-year-old business student at the University of Calgary, died from his injuries. A second person was seriously hurt.

Mitchell William Harkes, 19, of Calgary is charged with second-degree murder, aggravated assault and four breaches of various court orders. A 17-year-old, who cannot be named because they are a young offender, has also been charged with second-degree murder.

The two suspects were arrested on the weekend, but police didn't announce the charges until Monday.

Brenda Wiese told CBC News her son was in his third year at university, planning to follow his dad's footsteps and graduate from business school. He was originally from Ponoka.

"He was loving university life and had a lot of friends. He was a happy, happy guy," she said. "Now he's gone because of a senseless act."

Uninvited guests kicked out, returned

Wiese said her son was a guest at a party on the 5100 block of Brisebois Drive.

Staff Sgt. Doug Andrus said the university students renting the house warned neighbours.

"There is no indication that the party got out of control. In fact the individuals hosting the party went to neighbours and told the neighbours that they were going to have a party."

The party was advertised using social media and as many as 100 people showed up.

"Social media is a great way to exchange information. However, you can not control who has access to that information," he said.

Five uninvited people were kicked out at about 12:30 a.m., Andrus said. Just before 3 a.m., nine people returned in two vehicles and at least four went inside the house.

"It was a targeted attack in the sense that a number of individuals returned to the party in response to the earlier incidence," said Andrus.

Officers arrived at 3 a.m. and found Wiese and another man with stab wounds. Both were taken to hospital, but Wiese died from his injuries.The other victim was treated for serious injuries.

"If it wasn't for the great work of paramedics and doctors we probably would have had a second death."