Ward Sutherland has won the race for Ward 1 after a recount was requested.
Sutherland received just 85 more votes than Chris Harper Monday. In the end he won by 86 votes.
Results for all Calgary council positions will not be finalized until Friday.
There was no incumbent in the riding after long-serving Ald. Dale Hodges decided to not seek re-election.
After serving for 30 years, Hodges says he has decided to watch council from the sidelines. But he had thrown his weight behind Sutherland, a former community association president.
Join the conversation about Ward 1. Post your comments below or use #yycvote and #ward1 on Facebook or Twitter.
- Population: 85,771
- Per cent of population: 7.4%
- Total dwellings: 34,039
- Percentage of home ownership: 72.45%
- Vacancy rate: 2.17%
- Largest age group: 35-44
- Bicycle: 343 Transit: 4,313 Drove alone: 16,958
- Current alderman: Dale Hodges (retiring)
- Communities: Bowness, Cougar Ridge*, Crestmont, Greenwood/Greenbriar, Montgomery, Rocky Ridge, Scenic Acres, Silver Springs, Tuscany, University Heights, University of Calgary, Valley Ridge, Varsity
*Cougar Ridge is also in Ward 6
Senior business advisor who has worked with the Chamber of Commerce, Federation of Calgary Communities and Calgary’s Rotary Club.
WINNER: Ward Sutherland
Served as president of the Rocky Ridge Royal Oak Community Association.
John Hilton O’Brien
Financier for small businesses and former president of Alberta’s Wildrose Party.
Founder and executive director of EcoLiving Events Ltd.
Has lived in Calgary for four years and worked for Conservative MP Rob Anders.
Public School Board
- WINNER: Joy Bowen-Eyre (Incumbent)
- Roberta Maclise McDonald
- Erin Stabbler
Catholic School Board
- WINNER: Serafino Scarpino (Incumbent)
- Myra D’Souza Kormann
- Torr Haglund