Joe Magliocca beat out five candidates to take the council spot in Ward 2.
With no incumbent seeking re-election, Ward 2 was a race to watch. Veteran Ald. Gord Lowe says it's time to move on from what he considers a great job.
Attention to traffic congestion and growth issues are key to electoral success in this part of the city. Lowe was a key opponent to plans to legalize secondary suites city-wide. How will Magliocca feel about it?
Join the conversation about Ward 2. Post your comments below or use #yycvote and #ward2 on Facebook and Twitter.
- Population: 78,341
- Per cent population: 6.8%
- Total dwellings: 27,731
- Percentage of home ownership: 86.90%
- Vacancy rate: 1.79%
- Largest age group: 35-44
- Bicycle: 85 Transit: 3,459 Drove alone: 15,331
- Current alderman: Gord Lowe (retiring)
- Communities: Arbour lake, Citadel, Evanston, Hamptons, Hawkwood, Kincora, Nolan Hill, Ranchlands, Royal Oak, Sage Hill, Sherwood
Entrepreneur and past vice president in a commercial laboratory.
Teacher who has taught for over 10 years in both the public and private systems.
WINNER: Joe Magliocca
Past president of the Hamptons Community Association who works in the airline industry.
Member of the Coalition for Transparent and Accountable Governance — a major player in the fight against the shark fin ban.
Public servant working in local government, electrical utilities and health care.
Public School Board
- WINNER: Joy Bowen-Eyre (Incumbent)
- Roberta Maclise McDonald
- Erin Stabbler
Catholic School Board
- WINNER: Serafino Scarpino (Incumbent)
- Myra D’Souza Kormann
- Torr Haglund