Evan Woolley elected in Ward 8
Flood mitigation a possible hot topic in this downtown riding
Ald. John Mar has lost his seat to newcomer Evan Woolley.
He will likely have to deal with the thorny issue of revamping Crowchild Trail — a serious bottleneck which needs a 21st Century refresh.
This riding is home to more than 7,000 transit customers — the most in Calgary. Flood concerns and future mitigation are on the radar for residents in parts of this ward.
Join the conversation about Ward 8. Post your comments below or use #yycvote and #ward8 on Facebook and Twitter.
- Population: 82,080
- Per cent population: 7.1%
- Total dwellings: 50,995
- Percentage of home ownership: 36.93%
- Vacancy rate: 4.57%
- Largest age group: 25-34
- Bicycle: 484 Transit: 7,301 Drove alone: 16,280
- Current alderman: John Mar
- Communties: Bankview, Beltline, Cliff Bungalow, Downtown Commercial Core*, Downtown West End, Elbow Park*, Killarney/Glengarry, Mission, Mount Royal Lower, Richmond, Rosscarrock, Scarboro, Scarboro/Sunalta West, Shaganappi, South Calgary, Spruce Cliff, Sunalta, Upper Mount Royal, Westgate, Wildwood
*Downtown Commercial Core is also part of Ward 7, Elbow Park is also part of Ward 11
Public School Board
- Steve Chapman
- WINNER: Judy Hehr
- Irina Kuperis
- Steven Urvald
Catholic School Board
- Mark Franssen
- Antoni Grochowski
- WINNER: Peter Teppler