Calgary vehicle thefts by community: See where the crime surge happened
Nearly 5,000 cars were stolen and 11,000 were broken into last year. These maps show you where thieves struck
CBC News Posted: Mar 21, 2016 8:39 AM MT Last Updated: Mar 25, 2016 12:11 PM MT
First published on March 21.
Last year was a particularly bad one for property crime in Calgary, and vehicles in particular were a popular target for thieves.
Year-end data from the Calgary Police Service revealed 4,896 vehicle thefts across the city last year, up 49.5 per cent from 2014. Thefts from vehicles also grew to 10,845 incidents, up 45.9 per cent from 2014.
These maps break down where the crimes happened most often, both in terms of the total number of thefts and the theft rate (expressed as incidents per 100,000 people), community by community.
You can scroll through and zoom in and out to find the community you're looking for on the maps. Click on a community to see specific information about it.
Vehicle theft rate
Theft from vehicles
Theft from vehicles rate
— Crime data from Calgary Police Service 2015 Community Crime Statistics. Population data from City of Calgary 2015 civic census
Police have said the increase in vehicle-related crime is related to an overall increase in property crime in Calgary, a trend they believe is connected, in part, to growing rates of addiction in the city.
Vehicle thefts have also been on the rise outside of the city, according to RCMP in Central Alberta.
Read more about what police and affected residents have to say about the problem, in some our recent stories on the topic:
- Calgary break-ins: Check out how often thieves hit your 'hood
- Calgary saw a break-in per hour in 2015 as property crime surged
- Car prowlings spike to 20-year high in Calgary
- Calgary police economic crimes now handling car-theft cases
- Calgary licence plate thefts spike 80% over last year
- Sylvan Lake-area vehicle thefts double in year
- Central Alberta residents mobilize to fight vehicle theft wave
- E. coli risk prompts recall of Robin Hood all-purpose flour
- 25 illnesses in 4 provinces linked to E. coli-tainted Robin Hood flour
- Orphaned Calgary children 'tortured' by aunt and uncle with needles and lighters, Crown tells trial
- Alberta woman loses foot, toes, fingers after rare strep A infection
- Calgary mosque tainted by 'dark element' of radicalization to close doors this week
- 'It got me out of the house,' Alberta woman sees 500 shows in 6 years after husband's death
- Whipped, starved and stabbed: Calgary child abuse trial hears testimony from 1st of orphaned siblings
- Body found in Bow River deemed non-suspicious
- Newfoundlander saved by Calgary girl's heart joins hockey fundraiser to mark late teen's legacy