Morley man guilty in fatal hit and run

Fergus Hunter from Morley, Alta., has been found guilty in connection to a crash that killed a 10-year-old girl in May 2012.

Fergus Hunter found responsible for the death of 10-year-old Eleasha Wesley

Video evidence shows Fergus Hunter had been in two liquor stores near the scene just minutes before the crash. It also shows him wearing a green camouflaged jacket, which was brought up as evidence during the trial. (Court exhibit)

Fergus Hunter from Morley, Alta., has been found guilty in connection to a crash that killed a 10-year-old girl in May 2012.

Eleasha Lisa Wesley, 10, died after a car accident in 2012. She was ejected from the car her family was driving in after a shopping trip. (Submitted by the Wesley family)

Eleasha Wesley and her family were driving near Calgary's Canada Olympic Park on the way home to their Stoney Nakoda Nation home west of the city when their Pontiac Grand Am was hit by a van.

The 10-year-old was ejected from the car and later died. 

A Calgary judge found Hunter, now 21, guilty of hit and run and dangerous driving causing death.

"It's almost a two-year struggle and, now that it's put to rest for our little girl, we believe justice has been served," said family spokesperson Duane Wesley.

During the trial, a woman also heading home to Morley testified she witnessed the accident and followed Hunter.

When the vehicle stopped at a gas station, Kerry Holloway reported what she saw to police as well as the van's licence plate.

Hunter's lawyer had argued there was no proof his client's vehicle was involved in the crash or that he was behind the wheel at the time.

The Crown had argued all the circumstantial evidence suggested Hunter was the driver and that there is no other rational conclusion. 

The car Eleasha Wesley an her family were in at the time of 2012 accident. (Calgary Police Service)

Prosecutor Jonathan Hak presented evidence during the trial linking pieces from the bumper of a damaged Kia van seized from Hunter's mother's home in Morley with debris found at scene where Wesley died.

Video evidence showed Hunter had also been in two liquor stores near the scene just minutes before the crash.

Holloway told the court the driver was wearing green camouflage just before the crash, and the video surveillance from the liquor store shows the man identified as Hunter in a green camouflaged jacket.

At the time of his arrest, Hunter was out on bail for dangerous driving-related offences.

Hunter will be sentenced on May 2.