It was another tricky commute today after fresh snow created poor visibility for Calgary drivers navigating slippery roads. 

One man was killed this afternoon in a crash at Deerfoot Trail and Airport Trail.

Deerfoot crash

A 46-year-old man died after being hit by a minivan as he was assessing his vehicle that slid into a barrier on Deerfoot Trail. (CBC)

Police say the 46-year-old was travelling northbound on Deerfoot Trail in a Ford 350 truck when he lost control and slid into a barrier separating the lanes of traffic.

He got out to assess his vehicle, but was struck by a minivan that also lost control on the slippery roadway.

Northbound Deerfoot Trail has since reopened after being closed for the investigation.

Shortly after the fatal crash, a truck carrying 5,000 litres of diesel lost control and rolled on its side while travelling southbound on Deerfoot Trail just north of Airport Trail.

Officials say the fire department's Hazardous Materials team was brought in to contain a minor leak from the tank.

The fuel also had to be emptied from the truck before it could be righted, so southbound traffic has been restricted to two lanes during the cleanup.

Afternoon commute expected to be slow

Calgary police say they responded to 193 accidents by 4 p.m. today — 11 that included injuries. Officials expect it will be another slow commute for drivers this afternoon as plowing crews play catch up.  

The city’s Carissa Vescio said Calgarians should give themselves extra time on the drive home because more snow fell than expected.

Snowy roads

At least two centimetres of snow fell Monday morning, which added to the accumulation from last week's blizzard. (Kyle Bakx/CBC)

Stan Korczak said it usually takes him 20 minutes to drive to Calgary from his home in Cochrane, but Monday it took an hour.

"[It was] icy in spots, especially at corners, intersections — yeah, it was slow."

Korczak said he was only expecting a light dusting, not a blanket of snow.

Gary Brooks, who works for Carmacks Enterprises — the company which maintains Deerfoot Trail for the Alberta government, said he was caught off guard that this storm started a bit later in the day around at 6 a.m. MT. 

"Generally our crews have the chance to get a reasonable handle on it before the commuter wakes up and gets on the roads, where this storm and yesterday's storm, both occurred in the prime time."

Brooks said his road crews are still playing catch up, plowing and sanding Deerfoot Trail and Stoney Trail.

In Lethbridge, RCMP said blowing snow created zero visibility conditions and highways in the region were icy and hazardous. 

Ambulance 'red alert' issued

There were so many medical calls Monday morning Calgary Emergency Medical Services declared a "red alert," meaning they were out of ambulances to transport patients. The alert was in effect for at least an hour. 

EMS was still able to respond using SUVs but couldn't take patients to the hospital, said EMS spokesman Stuart Brideaux.

"We've received quite a number of 911 calls from medically-based complaints all within a very short span, ​which has caused us to deplete our units quite quickly," he said

"They are not particularly related to the weather, although we are attending to quite a number of motor vehicle collisions on Calgary roads this morning." 

Brideaux said they called in extra trucks to deal with the situation. 

"We always have plans in place in order to free up available ambulances as soon as possible whether they are available in hospital, or units that can be deployed from other areas we can bring in from outside the city."

Brideaux said the situation is rare, and when it does happen doesn't last long.

With files from the Kyle Bakx/CBC