High River RCMP are increasing patrols of schools and parks following an incident on Wednesday.
RCMP say a man in a black quad cab truck approached a young girl who was riding her bike around 8:30 a.m. MT.
Police say he repeatedly asked her if she wanted a ride, even saying, "It's chilly out, are you sure?"
The girl refused the offer and rode away.
Police are asking for the public's help in tracking down any information on this incident. Anyone with information can call High River RCMP at 403-652-2356.
RCMP TIPS FOR PARENTS
- Educate your children.
- Parents must reinforce to kids to never accept rides; it has to be second nature to them.
- Never approach or enter a stranger's car.
- Keep parents informed on their whereabouts at all times.
- Never play alone, always be with friends.
- Be aware of their environment and who is around them.
- Look back to see if anyone is following them.
- Try to remember details of the person's vehicle and description of the person.
- Stay in public or well-populated areas.
- Map your child's route to and from school with them. Make sure your children follow this route with no deviations unless they get your permission first.
- Teach your child to tell you if anything happens that makes them feel unsafe and to report immediately anything out of the ordinary.
- Consider giving your child a whistle that is easily accessible and kept close to the chest. Impress upon them the importance of using this whistle only when needing to attract attention that would scare off strangers and to receive assistance.