Cedarbrae woman saved from fire by smoke alarm, officials say

A smoke alarm helped save a woman's life early this morning in Cedarbrae, the fire department says.

Exterior of southwest Calgary townhouse caught fire early Wednesday morning

A smoke alarm helped save a woman's life early this morning in Cedarbrae, the Calgary fire department says.

A neighbour spotted the flames in the 100-block of Cedardale Crescent southwest around 1 a.m.

When firefighters arrived, a significant portion of the exterior of the townhouse was on fire, but it was brought under control quickly.

The resident and her dog had already got out safely by the time fire crews arrived.

"This fire demonstrates the vital importance of having working smoke alarms installed in your home as the smoke alarm activation played a critical role in alerting this resident to the danger," the fire department said in a release.

There was little damage to the inside of the residence.          

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.