Failed valve caused scalding, says Alberta home operator
Support worker involved in the incident has been dismissed
The operator of a group home where a disabled person was scalded during a bath says a temperature control valve failed.
The victim suffered burns to his ankles and buttocks last week at a group home operated by REDI Enterprises Society in Medicine Hat, Alta.
"This is an extremely unfortunate incident that was the result of a combination of a mechanical failure on a temperature control valve and a breakdown of established bathing protocols," said the company in a release.
Associate human services minister Frank Oberle apologized for the incident Thursday and said an investigation into what happened is underway.
The operator says the support worker involved has been dismissed and its protocols for bathing are being reviewed.
"The temperature control valve failed and allowed water in ... excess of normal temperatures to be put into the tub and the employee failed to test the water before lowering the person in," said company spokesperson Allan O'Byrne.
"[The victim] showed discomfort and, we think, he was immediately removed."
The company says it's co-operating with the investigation into the incident.
"It's a very unfortunate situation. We're certainly distressed that this happened," said O'Byrne. "We have put new protocals in place and we are retraining all our staff to ... try to make sure this never happens again."