Roughly one week after the commissioner of Alberta's queue-jumping inquiry complained of perceived interference from the provincial government, his request for an extension has been granted.
Retired judge John Vertes now has until Aug. 31 to write recommendations following testimony about preferential access to Alberta's health-care system.
Vertes had complained after an earlier request for an extension was rejected by Health Minister Fred Horne.
"Not only is such a rejection unprecedented, it borders on an interference with the independence of this commission since it would require me to rush through a report that would not be as complete or thorough as I would want," Vertes said at the time.
Horne says the original deadline was established by cabinet, so another cabinet decision must be made to change it. Cabinet approved the change Wednesday.
The inquiry was expected to finish up in January but heard more evidence of queue-jumping well into February.
Redford said last week that her government is not interfering with the queue-jumping inquiry.
"We would like this report to be done by April 30," she said. "He has said that he needs more time to write... [It's] certainly appropriate to give him the time that he needs to do that so we're not casting any judgment ... with respect to that."