A Cochrane family watched Wednesday night as their home burnt down.

The family’s Alberta property, the well-known LJ Ranch, was also home to the Cochrane Community Midwives.

They were weeks away from moving the clinic but now all the records and equipment have been destroyed.

Kerry Kruger said he rushed over after he got the call Wednesday night about his in-laws home.

“Everybody got out safe – dogs, cats, people. Everything else can be replaced. That’s all I’ve got to say.”

One woman was inside the home when the fire started just after 6 p.m. MT.

Rockyview County Fire services district chief Dax Huba said fire crews will work to extinguish the fire overnight.

“The house had been burning for quite some time by the time we got here,” said Huba.

“The fire is still under investigation now.”

The home was approximately 15 years old.