The Pollitt family took some comfort in watching sheriffs escort their loved one's killer into holding cells in the Calgary Courts Centre, ultimately destined for jail.

Cinzia Marson, 34, was sentenced to 20 months Wednesday for dangerous driving causing death. She killed Christopher Pollitt in June 2015 when she ignored numerous warnings, including rumble strips and a giant stop sign, before blowing through a highway intersection near Crossfield, Alta.

Marson T-boned Pollitt's Hyundai Elantra with her Lincoln SUV. Earlier this year she was convicted of dangerous driving causing death. 

"You will not get over Christopher's death, rather hopefully you will come to learn how to live without him," said Hughes to Pollitt's family. 

The Pollitts travelled from the U.K. to attend Marson's sentencing hearing. 

"The judge's comments I thought were very kind, very thoughtful, considerate," said Christopher's father, Stuart Pollitt. "I think she thought about us all the way through."

Katie, Hilary and Stuart Pollitt

Katie, Hilary and Stuart Pollitt travelled from the UK to attend Marson's sentencing hearing. (Meghan Grant/CBC)

Outside the courtroom after the sentence was handed down, Chris's sister Katie Pollitt read a statement prepared by the family.

Chris was an asset to every society he entered. He touched the lives of so many people and left an imprint on their hearts.

No length of sentence will ever bring Chris back but a custodial jail term of 20 months brings us some comfort.

We and many others will miss him forever.

One day earlier, victim impact statements from Pollitt's mother, father and sister were read aloud at the sentencing hearing.

They described a young man who, after working as a police officer in England, survived two tours with the British military in Afghanistan.

More recently, Pollitt had met a Canadian woman and moved to Calgary to begin a life with her. He dreamed of continuing a career in law enforcement with plans to become a Calgary police officer. 

At the time he was killed, Pollitt was working for a local security company and was heading to a school in Beiseker after an alarm had been activated. 

Christopher Pollitt Cinzia Marson

This is the car Christopher Pollitt was driving when he was killed by Cinzia Marson who drove dangerously, blowing through a highway intersection. Pollitt, who worked for PWM Loss Prevention Services, was responding to an alarm at a school in Beiseker at the time. (PWM Loss Prevention Services)

'No winners'

Before the crash, Marson had been ticketed three times for speeding. She also had convictions for failing to properly stop at a stop sign and failing to safely proceed onto a highway.

Marson apologized to the Pollitt family for her "dangerous and irresponsible behaviour." Although Katie Pollitt called Marson's words "rubbish," the judge did accept her remorse.

"There are no winners in a case like this," said defence lawyer Alain Hepner.

On top of the jail sentence, Marson will also be prohibited from driving for five years after she's released.

Stuart Pollitt said on Friday his family will travel to British Columbia to spend some time together before heading home to the U.K.

"We now have to find a way of moving forward in pretty strong fashion."