Check out these great podcasts from CBC Calgary, on unsolved murders, historic heroes and business greats
Offerings include Ambushed: Murder in Cattle Country; Heroes, Hustlers and Horsemen; and Venturing Out
In the mood for a podcast? CBC Calgary has produced some great ones in the past year. Have a listen!
Ambushed: Murder in cattle country
On the night of Dec. 13, 1997, Lorraine McNab and Peter Sopow were driving home after dinner out with family.
The kindergarten teacher and RCMP sergeant were headed back to Lorraine's mobile home on a rural property just outside the prairie town of Pincher Creek, Alta. It was late, but there was a full moon that night, so it's possible they saw their killer before he shot them.
The double murder of McNab and Sopow shook southern Alberta and remains unsolved 20 years later. It continues to haunt their friends and family and sows doubt in this tight-knit community.
Police said the perpetrator was someone known to the victims, someone familiar with the rural property where the murders happened.
But who could have wanted them dead? And why have the murders never been solved?
Ambushed is a six-part podcast series that tries to answer those questions.
- You can read more, see photos and stream the podcasts on the Ambushed page, or download the podcasts through the CBC Radio Podcast Player for offline listening.
Heroes, Hustlers and Horsemen
Heroes, Hustlers and Horsemen is a five-part podcast series from CBC Calgary about real people who lived in southern Alberta around the time of confederation and a few decades beyond.
The stories aren't of the Heritage Minute variety. These are the whisky-soaked, down and dusty, gun-slinging kinds of stories they leave out in school.
We'll meet rogues and rebels, bold visionaries with big blind spots, the notorious and the opportunistic, the people who gave rein to their ambitions and passions and those who chose to buck the herd.
- You can click here to read the stories and stream each podcast episode, or download the podcasts from the CBC Radio Podcast Player for offline listening.
Venturing Out with Arlene Dickinson
Venturing Out with Arlene Dickinson is a seven-part series of candid conversations between Arlene and some of Canada's top entrepreneurs.
Join Arlene as they cover the highs the lows and everything in-between when it comes to starting and running a business in Canada.
- Episode 1: Arlene sits down with the singer-songwriter, author, restaurateur and philanthropist Jann Arden.
- Episode 2: Arlene discusses persistence, grit and determination with the president of IBM Canada, Dino Trevisani.
- Episode 3: Arlene talks to Matthew Corrin, founder and CEO of Freshii, on what it's like to strike gold so young.
- Episode 4, Arlene chats withDiana Olsen, CEO and founder of Balzac Coffee and a winner from CBC's Dragons' Den, Season 6.
- Episode 5: Arlene sits down with Christine Magee, president and co-founder of Sleep Country Canada, on what it was like to walk away from a secure day job to pursue her dream.
- Episode 6: Arlene chats with Terry O'Reilly, CBC host of Under The Influence, author and serial entrepreneur, about the importance of marketing when it comes to branding a business.
- Episode 7: Arlene talks with Kirstine Stewart, chief strategy officer at Diply Canada, about how entrepreneurship doesn't happen in a vacuum.
- You can click on the links above to read the stories and stream each podcast episode, or download all the episodes here from the CBC Radio Podcast Player for offline listening.