Carbon monoxide forces 35 Calgarians from S.E. homes

Carbon monoxide forced 35 people out of their southeast Calgary homes Friday morning after a fresh air intake vent became plugged with ice.

Source of gas was fresh air intake vent on roof that was plugged with ice

While Alberta requires homes built after 2006 to have carbon monoxide detectors, older homes are not required to install them. (iStock)

Carbon monoxide forced 35 people out of their southeast Calgary homes Friday morning after a fresh air intake vent became plugged with ice.

Firefighters responded around 7:20 a.m. MT to the 15200 block of Bannister Road S.E. after a resident reported the smell of gas on the third floor. Crews told 35 people to leave the 60-unit building and discovered readings of 150 to 310 parts per million of carbon monoxide throughout the building. 

The evacuees were able to stay warm in Calgary Transit buses until being allows back inside.

ATCO crews and firefighters found the source of the gas to be a fresh air intake vent on the roof that had become plugged with ice.

Crews are ventilating the building before evacuees will be allowed to return.

One person was assessed by EMS but no other injuries were reported.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.