The father of Anthony Hampton, a teen who suffered brain damage after unknowingly taking fentanyl last month, says his son is "improving dramatically."

Anthony Hampton

Anthony Hampton, who has been in hospital since an accidental fentanyl overdose last month, is now improving dramatically, his father says. (Reg Hampton/Facebook )

Reg Hampton said his 18-year-old son took a pill he thought was OxyContin, but police believe it was probably fentanyl — or a combination of the two.

The drug overdose put him in a 10-day coma and he has been in hospital since the incident. An MRI report indicated extensive and permanent brain damage.

But in his latest Facebook post, Reg Hampton says his son is now fully aware of what's happening around him and has begun talking, although faintly.

"Whatever positive energy everyone has been sending out to the cosmos, thank you, because it has been working," he said, adding his son still remembers nothing about the night he was rushed to hospital.

"But we have filled him in on his near-death experience and all of the news coverage that followed. He is humbled and grateful to everyone."

'Still a long road ahead'

Antony will be moved next to the brain ward at the Foothills hospital, Hampton said.

"There is still a long road ahead, but we are more hopeful than we have been since he arrived at hospital a month ago," he said.

"Last night he asked the nurse to put him in his Chelsea FC jersey, which you can see in the picture."

Hampton says he first went public with his son's story in the hope that it would raise awareness about the dangers of street drugs and stop other young people from making the same mistake Anthony did.