Alberta's provincial government announced 10 new schools for Calgary suburbs, as well as a new location for students at the Calgary Arts Academy.
The new schools — six public, three Catholic and one francophone — will fit 7,500 students. School doors should open in two years, said Premier Alison Redford.
- 9 new schools to be built in Calgary
- Alberta announces 3 new schools, 1 expansion for Edmonton
- New schools planned for southern Alberta
"We've announced a very ambitious infrastructure project. We're well on our way on some of it. People will start to see some great progress. Of course, we don't build schools overnight," she said.
Alberta Liberal MLA Kent Hehr said 2018 is a more reasonable target.
If the schools aren't completed on time, Calgary Board of Education chair Sheila Taylor is worried about the consequences.
"What it means is we'll have students in classrooms on gym stages. We'll have students taking long bus rides. So for us, it's about making sure we have the schools built, we have them built in the neighbourhoods where kids are living, and that we have them on time," she said.
Arts school moves to Stampede grounds
The Calgary Arts Academy, a charter school, will also be moved out of its Calgary Board of Education-owned schools in southwest Calgary and into Stampede Park.
The new campus will be built in the Weston Bakery, a 1929 heritage building that was used as a bakery until it was sold to the Stampede board in 1989.
"The historic Weston Bakery at Stampede Park will be transformed into a modern learning facility through a unique partnership between government, the Calgary Arts Academy and the Calgary Stampede," according to a government release.
"Arts Academy students will benefit from access to new learning space and from existing theatre and performance space in the park."
The new schools are expected to be constructed by 2016:
- Auburn Bay: K-4 public school.
- Cranston: K-6 Catholic school.
- Evergreen: Grades 5-9 public school.
- McKenzie Towne: Grades 5-9 public school.
- New Brighton-Copperfield: K-6 Catholic school and Grades 5-9 public school.
- Panorama Hills: K-6 public school.
- Scenic Acres: K-6 Francophone school.
- Tuscany: K-4 public school.
- Southeast location, yet to be determined: Grades 10-12 Catholic school.
View New Calgary schools in a larger map