Calgary homicide detectives are hoping a newly-released video will lead them to a suspect in a fatal stabbing outside a nightclub almost a decade ago.

Shane Johnson, 23, died on Jan. 25, 2004, after he was stabbed in a parking lot as he left NYLA nightclub in the 1200 block of First Street S.W.


Police are hoping newly-released video and images of a suspect from a 2004 fatal stabbing will help investigators crack the case. (Calgary Police Service)

It’s believed Johnson and another man had had an argument inside the bar earlier in the evening.

As Johnson left the club with his friends he became separated from the group. That’s when an unidentified man came from behind, stabbed him and ran, police said.

The suspect was described as a black man, five feet eight inches tall, weighing about 120 pounds and wearing a green jacket and running shoes.

Investigators now believe a security camera video at the Greyhound bus station shows the suspect buying a ticket three days after the murder.

The man bought the bus ticket under the name Yosef, police said. It’s believed the suspect also goes by the name Tyson or just T.

Investigators are getting close to solving the case, said Staff Sgt. Grant Miller.

"Recently we've come into information ... and with that information, we are able to go back and look at the pieces that existed and the investigation that we had and determine that the person at the bus depot is going to be the person we are interested in," he said.


An image from a security camera at Calgary's Greyhound bus station shows a man police are looking for in connection with a 2004 murder. (Calgary Police Service)

In the video the suspect is seen wearing a long, dark-green jacket with yellow lining. He wore a white do-rag — similar to a bandana — on his head.

Police also want to speak with a man and a woman who appeared to be at the bus station with the suspect.

Anyone with information about the people in the images is asked to contact police or Crime Stoppers.