Calgary police make arrest in groping, robberies
Calgary police have charged a local man with five recent robberies and a sexual assault in the city's northeast.
On several occasions, police say the accused approached people asking for money saying he needed it for a sick mother.
His alleged victims included an 85-year-old woman.
The 22-year-old suspect is now facing 17 charges, including robbery and one count of sexual assault.
He is expected to appear in court Thursday.
List of alleged incidents:
- Aug. 7: Victim was at home in the 3200 block of 60 Street N.E. when a man knocked on the door and asked to come in, as it was raining outside. She later gives him a ride and he robs her at knifepoint.
- Aug. 15: Victim arrives home in the 100 block of Pinehill Road N.E. and is approached by a man in front of her house. The man asks for money, claiming his mother is sick and in the hospital. The offender pulls out a knife and demands money, and then takes the victim’s phone.
- Aug. 23: An 85-year-old woman arrives home and enters her detached garage in the 4700 block of Rundlehorn Drive N.E. A man follows her inside and asks for money claiming his mother is in the hospital. Man takes her purse and runs down the back alley.
- Aug. 24: Victim arrives home in the 5600 block of Templehill Road N.E. and is approached by a man who takes her purse. The same offender was seen a short time earlier going door-to-door asking for money claiming his mother was in the hospital.
- Sept. 2: Victim was parked outside a business at 2315 68 St. N.E. when a man entered the passenger side of her vehicle and robbed her of cash, jewelry and a phone. The man then inappropriately touched the woman, who screamed and scared off the offender.