Calgary Metal Recycling fire put out
Ogden Road reopened Thursday morning
The fire at Calgary Metal Recycling in the southeast is finally out after smouldering for nearly two weeks.
A heap of scrap auto-parts, rubber and plastics had been slowly burning at the business in the 3400 block of Ogden Road S.E.
The city deactivated the Municipal Emergency Plan just after 1 a.m. Thursday.
The clean-up is expected to take several more days, but Ogden Road reopened Thursday morning.
All affected businesses in the area also reopened. Four businesses had been evacuated Wednesday because of smoke and ash in the area.
One neighbouring company estimates it cost them $100,000 in lost business and other expenses after it was forced to shut down.
The company says it wants to recover that money.
Neighbouring businesses affected
"The whole compensation piece will be a matter between Calgary Metals and those businesses themselves," said Calgary Fire Department deputy chief Len MacCharles.
"It's a major commuter route, Ogden Road, we get a lot of stop in traffic because of our location, and just our contractors too to be able to get here, it's been a pain for them," he said.
Poezler said RONA isn't looking to recover lost sales but is worried about the health of its employees, which also concerns the Calgary Fire Department.
To address health concerns, an air quality monitor has been set up on Ogden Road and the fire department's air monitoring truck arrived on scene Thursday morning.