Calgary break-ins: Check out how often thieves hit your 'hood
Data revealed a major spike in break and enters in 2015 and these maps show where the criminals struck
CBC News Posted: Mar 17, 2016 7:55 AM MT Last Updated: Mar 18, 2016 10:52 AM MT
Calgary saw a 56 per cent jump in break-ins last year, with more than 9,000 total incidents reported to police. That's more than one break-in per hour, all year long.
How many happened in your community? And which neighbourhoods were hardest hit? Use our interactive maps below to explore where residential break-ins happened, both in terms of absolute numbers and the break-in rate (measured in terms of incidents per 100,000 people.)
You can scroll through and zoom in and out to find the community you're looking for on the maps. Click on a community to see specific information about it.
Total residential break-and-enters
Break-and-enter rates (incidents per 100K residents)
— Break-and-enter data from Calgary Police Service 2015 Community Crime Statistics, population data from City of Calgary 2015 civic census
Calgary at a Crossroads is CBC Calgary's special focus on life in our city during the downturn. A look at Calgary's culture, identity and what it means to be Calgarian. Read more stories from the series at Calgary at a Crossroads.
Severe weather warnings or watches in effect for:
Chance of showers
Latest Calgary News Headlines
Top News Headlines
- Calgary airport to return accessible parking spots after botched marketing campaign
- 'Disgusting behaviour' caught on video at fast food restaurant in Red Deer, Alta.
- Calgary landlord calls for stronger protections after renters trash her property
- How, when and where to watch the solar eclipse in Calgary
- Motorcyclist run over and killed in northwest Calgary
- Fixture of Calgary's community theatre scene dies while snorkeling in Hawaii
- Great eclipse photos taken by people in and around Calgary (and how to tell if you wrecked your eyes)
- Calgary man out $700 after construction debris dumped on his property
- Ticketmaster accused of misleading and overcharging fans with platinum seats