Calgary break-ins: Check out how often thieves hit your 'hood
Data revealed a major spike in break and enters in 2015 and these maps show where the criminals struck
CBC News Posted: Mar 17, 2016 7:55 AM MT Last Updated: Mar 18, 2016 10:52 AM MT
Calgary saw a 56 per cent jump in break-ins last year, with more than 9,000 total incidents reported to police. That's more than one break-in per hour, all year long.
How many happened in your community? And which neighbourhoods were hardest hit? Use our interactive maps below to explore where residential break-ins happened, both in terms of absolute numbers and the break-in rate (measured in terms of incidents per 100,000 people.)
You can scroll through and zoom in and out to find the community you're looking for on the maps. Click on a community to see specific information about it.
Total residential break-and-enters
Break-and-enter rates (incidents per 100K residents)
— Break-and-enter data from Calgary Police Service 2015 Community Crime Statistics, population data from City of Calgary 2015 civic census
Calgary at a Crossroads is CBC Calgary's special focus on life in our city during the downturn. A look at Calgary's culture, identity and what it means to be Calgarian. Read more stories from the series at Calgary at a Crossroads.
Latest Calgary News Headlines
Latest Video and Audio
Western Canada's only banya, or traditional Russian bathhouse, is hidden away in a southeast strip mall in Calgary.
Overall revenues have dropped by roughly 30 per cent over the last year, owing in large part to a decline in corporate bookings.
CBC TV News, Weather and Sports from Calgary
The alternative cab service launched Tuesday already has 5,000 downloads and roughly 40 drivers. Pascal Ryffel says the city's rules "aren't onerous at all."
Top News Headlines
- Calgary 1st city in Canada and U.S. to exhibit Body Worlds 'coupling' specimen
- Alex Radita, 15, weighed 37 pounds when he died, murder trial hears
- Heritage Park battles economic woes, cuts hours, freezes wages
- Baby bobcats make surprise visit to Calgary home
- Calgary teen may lose hands after 'incendiary' device goes off in Midnapore home
- Matthew de Grood's murder trial adjourns, judge to deliver decision Wednesday
- Husband arrested after wife fatally shot, teen daughter injured in Pineridge
- Wet weather and big trucks take their toll on McLean Creek this weekend
- Bobcat wandering Britannia's residential streets caught on camera