bacon spread recall

Bacon spread made by Kitchen by Brad Smoliak is being recalled over concerns that some jars are tainted with the toxin that causes botulism. (CFIA)

A brand of bacon spread that was sold in Alberta is being recalled over concerns it might contain a potentially deadly strain of bacteria.

Testing by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) revealed that the Bacon by Brad Smoliak spread might permit the growth of clostridium botulinum, which causes botulism.

Customers who bought the affected 125 gram jars — which have best before dates of May 14, 2014, and July 14, 2014 — should throw them away or return them to the store where purchased for a refund.

Food tainted with the toxin might not look or smell spoiled but can still cause illness, the CFIA said.

Symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, fatigue, dizziness, blurred or double vision, dry mouth, respiratory failure and paralysis. In severe cases the toxin can be fatal.

There have been no deaths linked to the recall.

The company behind the product is Kitchen by Brad Smoliak.

"I deeply regret the concern and uncertainty this may cause you. I am a chef that lives in a culture of food safety," said Smoliak in a statement. 

"I have an unwavering commitment to keeping your food safe with standards that go beyond regulatory requirements. I acknowledge that my best efforts failed and I am sorry."

Anyone with questions or concerns can contact the company at or 780-757-7704.