Bearspaw fire sparked by discarded cigarette

Investigators say a discarded cigarette is to blame for a fire that destroyed a home in the Bearspaw community west of Calgary.

$2M home under construction west of Calgary severely damaged by flames

Crews battled a large house fire on the northwestern edge of Calgary last Friday morning. (Justin Pennell/CBC)

Investigators say a discarded cigarette is to blame for a fire that destroyed a home in the Bearspaw community west of Calgary.

The home was under construction in the subdivision of Watermark when it caught fire last Friday morning.

The fire engulfed the large home located on 12 Mile Coulee Road north of 80th Avenue N.W.

No one was injured but the owners of the $2-million home were expecting to move in within weeks.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.