Firefighters are examining a battery charger following a fire that badly damaged two houses in northeast Calgary early Tuesday morning.

When firefighters were called to the 10 block of Castlebury Court N.E. just after 1 a.m. MT they found one house engulfed in flames. The fire had also started spreading to an adjacent house, fire officials said.

"The fire originated in a second floor bedroom. A battery charger and batteries have been removed from the home as a part of the ongoing investigation," officials said in a press release.

Crews called a second alarm and evacuated several people from nearby homes. Firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading beyond the two houses.

One man was taken to hospital as a precaution, EMS officials said.