Armed man arrested in Cochrane after barricading himself in house
Negotiators were able to get the man to surrender peacefully Sunday night
The man arrested Sunday night after allegedly walking around a Cochrane park in southern Alberta with a rifle and crossbow is known to police, CBC News has learned.
According to RCMP, reports of an armed man in his 20s began coming in around 5 p.m. MT and officers located him a short time later by a skate park.
"He was wearing camo and he's just walking around so casually," said Kaitlynn Knight, who was in the park with friends when the man was spotted.
While the exact motive behind the incident is not clear, police say the man is not co-operating with the investigation and has said little about what happened Sunday night.
He was charged with impaired driving in April 2013 and is also facing a charge of possession of a weapon for a purpose dangerous to public peace.
The latter charge is unrelated to Sunday's incident, but police tell CBC News they expect to lay the same charge in relation to this incident.
Son, father taken into custody
After police ordered the man to drop his weapon while at the park, he left the area.
Police helicopters, a canine team and the RCMP Emergency Response Team were called in to help search for him.
The man ended up barricading himself in his parents' home on Quigley Drive.
Police surrounded the house and after an hour-long standoff, negotiators were able to get the man to surrender peacefully around 9:45 p.m.
Both he and his father were taken into custody.
Video posted online
"This is the best possible outcome for everyone involved," said Sgt. Roger Waidson, the detachment commander with Cochrane RCMP, in a release.
"I am sure the situation was very frightening for the citizens of Cochrane. I want to thank them for their assistance and co-operation throughout the incident."
In a video posted just hours before the incident, the 26-year-old man vowed revenge.
"I will find him," he said in the video.
The exact motive is unclear, although the man does reference a recent altercation.
Incident draws parallel with Moncton shooting
RCMP Corp. John Spaans says the situation was taken very seriously by responders, especially given the recent killings of three RCMP officers in Moncton, N.B.
"It's all that more salient," he said.
"You think of what could possibly have happened."
Justin Bourque, 24, pleaded guilty last week to three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder in connection with the shootings in June.
Bourque was arrested just after midnight on June 6 after a two-day manhunt that involved hundreds of police officers from across the country and forced a lockdown in parts of Moncton.