The family of a 29-year-old man who is believed drowned in Sikome Lake in southeast Calgary is still waiting to hear from authorities after two days of searching.

"It’s just a difficult time right now," said Wahid Akhtari, who identified the missing man as his brother-in-law, Ali Shaikh.

The man was on a dinghy Monday afternoon with several others — four adults and two children, including a baby — when it tipped. 

sikome lake

Emergency responders slowly paddle through Sikome Lake on Tuesday looking for a missing 29-year-old man, who is presumed drowned. Four people and two children were on an inflatable raft late Monday afternoon. Three of those adults and one infant ended up in the water, fire officials said. (CBC)

Witnesses on the beach helped rescue some of them, including the infant — who was taken to hospital as a precaution.

Akhtari said not everyone knew how to swim, but he is not sure if anyone was wearing a life-jacket.

The lake is quite shallow — usually about two metres deep.

Crews resumed the search Tuesday morning, but officials say it is being hampered by the turbidity of the water and patches of weeds on the bottom.

Safety protocols to be reviewed

The man-made lake in Fish Creek Provincial Park remains closed to the public while divers conduct a grid search in the water.

An aerial search by a HAWCS helicopter did not locate anything Tuesday. Officials said they will decide later Tuesday whether they need to drain the lake.

Meanwhile, Alberta Parks says it will be reviewing its safety protocols following the incident.

On a busy day there can be 10,000 people at Sikome Lake. There were six aquatic safety specialists patrolling the area on Monday, but they are not lifeguards.

Jill Sawyer with Alberta Parks says that is standard at man-made lakes across the country.

She says there are plenty of signs warning people they are swimming at their own risk.

sikome lake

Witnesses on the beach were able to rescue two adults and an infant but a 29-year-old man could not be located after falling from a raft on Monday afternoon. (Kyle Bakx/CBc)