After another failed attempt to make it into the play-offs, Calgary's NHL team has decided to look for some fresh leadership. The team has fired general manager Al Coates and director of player personnel Nick Polano. As well, neither head coach Brian Sutter nor assistant coach Rich Preston will have their contracts renewed. The announcements were made Tuesday by Flames' president Ron Bremner. "Missing the play-offs for the fourth consecutive season has been difficult for everyone connected with our organization," Bremner said. Bremner says the team has tried to improve its performance and has made some progress but not enough. "It is clear that we need more supporters and better results if we are to take this organization to the next level," he said. The team is about to launch a season ticket campaign that will include higher prices. As well, the Flames' owners have given Bremner the go-ahead to spend more money on talent next year. The new general manager will be hired in June, before the NHL entry draft which will be in Calgary this year.
Calgary Flames fire top officials
CBC News Posted: Apr 11, 2000 9:47 PM ET Last Updated: Apr 11, 2000 9:47 PM ET
Top News Headlines
- Maryam Monsef says sorry for accusing MPs of shirking electoral reform duties
- Air Miles cancels expiry policy — cold comfort for customers who rushed to spend points
- Is it time to stop lying to our kids about Santa Claus?
- Canada should appoint kidnapping czar as part of hostage approach, says ex-CSIS expert
Latest Canada News Headlines
- 'Making Stelco great again': A Hamilton steel company changes its name back
- Did police miss chances to investigate Dellen Millard before he killed Tim Bosma?
- Elderly Calgary man found not fit for trial in slaying of 'soulmate' wife
- Time for Liberals to decide if they're serious about electoral reform: Aaron Wherry
- A landlord's nightmare: Tenants kept livestock in the house
- Muslim teen left with cracked skull after brutal beating
- Thousands of alleged fugitives nabbed at Canadian borders in wake of CBC Toronto investigation
- Ottawa couple found dead, son charged with 2 counts of 1st-degree murder
- Pilot dies in CF-18 crash near Cold Lake, Alta.