Vancouver Stanley Cup riot: Suspect Michelle Scarce on run in Australia
Australian Michelle Scarce,33, is wanted Canada-wide for participating in a riot and for mischief
Three years after the Stanley Cup riot broke out in Vancouver, investigators say the only remaining person who stands accused, identified and charged with offences has fled to Australia.
The riot swept through downtown Vancouver on June 15, 2011 after the Canucks lost the Stanley Cup finals to the Boston Bruins. Rioters caused nearly $4 million in damage, smashing windows, looting stores and setting cars on fire.
Vancouver Police launched an extensive investigation and say they have now recommended 1,263 charges against 365 suspected rioters, 298 of whom have been charged and 260 of whom entered guilty pleas.
Const. Brian Montague said only one accused remains at large, Australian Michelle Scarce, now 33, who was working in Whistler in 2011 and is wanted Canada-wide for participating in the riot and for mischief.
"We do know she is in Australia. We have spoken to Australian authorities," said Montague.
"The Australian police have spoken with her...so she is fully aware she is wanted in Canada. If she returns to Canada .. she will be arrested immediately."
Montague says Scarce returned home after photos of her allegedly taking part in the riot appeared on social media and she was fired from her job. A warrant for her arrest was issued in September last year.
Police say they continue to work with other police forces to monitor all those charged and convicted to ensure they comply with court ordered conditions.
Police are asking the public to visit their website to help identify more people who participated in the riot that night.