The City of Vancouver is the latest local government body to file for intervener status at the National Energy Board hearings into the expansion of the Trans Mountain Pipeline.

Several other municipalities including, Surrey, White Rock, Langley and the District of North Vancouver have already applied. Last week the provincial government also applied for intervener status at the upcoming hearings. Wednesday is the final day to register.

Kinder Morgan has applied to triple the capacity of the existing 60-year-old pipeline, which runs from near Edmonton, Alberta to Vancouver Harbour in Burnaby.

Counc. Heather Deal says the mayor and council are very concerned about the risk to local waters from an oil spill.

"All of us are very concerned about the potential impact on our economy of a seven-time increase in oil tanker traffic in our waters," said Deal on Monday.

"The fact you can actually go sailing, go fishing, do all kinds of things on the waterways of Vancouver is incredibly important to us and our economy."

A city staff report filed in December concluded there are serious concerns about oil spill response capabilities and money to pay for even a moderate oil spill.

The National Energy Board will make its recommendations to federal government in the spring of 2015.

If approved, work on the $5.4 billion project to revamp the 1,150-kilometre, 60-year-old pipeline could be complete by late 2017.