Top 3 worst intersections for pedestrians in the Lower Mainland
Vancouver's first pedestrian fatality of 2016 was a senior struck by a car while jaywalking
CBC News Posted: Jan 22, 2016 4:01 PM PT Last Updated: Jan 22, 2016 4:01 PM PT
An 81-year-old man jaywalking across East Broadway in the rain, who was struck and killed by a vehicle Thursday night, was Vancouver's first pedestrian fatality of the year.
ICBC says nearly one in five people killed in car crashes in the province are pedestrians and the winter period sees more pedestrian injuries compared to the summer months.
The most dangerous intersections
In the Lower Mainland, 33 pedestrians are killed and 1,700 injured in crashes on average every year. The majority — 82 per cent — of crashes involving pedestrians occur at intersections.
Based on ICBC data from 2009 to 2013, the most dangerous intersection for pedestrians is Main and Hastings, which had 27 crashes.
- Main Street and Hastings East: 27 crashes
- Main Street and Terminal Avenue: 18 crashes
- Commercial Drive and East Broadway: 16 crashes
Latest British Columbia News
Top News Headlines
- Trump's immigration talk runs into reality at the Mexican border
- Protests and blunders: Colin Kaepernick and the history of national anthem controversies in sports
- Drake, Bieber to battle Beyoncé, Adele, Kanye for top MTV video award
- 'It made my blood boil': Montreal Impact fans outraged over 'sexist' Toronto FC poster
- Pattullo Bridge reopens Monday after 4 months of work on busy crossing
- Mother of man killed in donation bin remembers 'quirky, silly and kindhearted' son
- Millions of trees on the way for ravaged B.C. forests, according to new climate plan
- Mysterious brown 'goo' strewn across North Vancouver
- Vancouver Lakewood Drive house fire doused early by firefighters
- Massive 'Pig Nose' white sturgeon caught near Lillooet
- Hikers rescued from Mount Seymour after night in emergency shelter
- 'The Thingery' aims to bring new kind of library to Vancouver neighbourhoods
- Vancouver odd couple spins comedic gold out of unexpected pregnancy