An 18-month-old boy has died in a house fire in the Fraser Valley that started after the parents allegedly went out for a walk and left the child at home with the stove on for heat.

Police and firefighters were called to a three-unit home in Silver Creek, just outside Hope at about 1:30 a.m. PT.

The second floor of the home was fully engulfed in flames when the crews arrived. After they extinguished the fire they found baby's body in the building.

mi-bc-110505-hope-house-fire

Nancy Jennewein took this picture of the house fire.

Nobody else was injured in the fire.

Officials have yet to release any more information about the blaze, but a neighbour told CBC News she was awoken by her dog and looked out to see the house engulfed in flames.

Nancy Jennewein and another neighbour said they were surprised to see the distraught mother and a man they believed to be the father arriving home to find the house in flames after fire crews arrived.

Jennewein said she overheard the man tell police that the gas at the home had been cut off and they had left the stove on for heat while they went out for a walk.

Police refused to comment on those details, but said they are taking the investigation very seriously.

Another neighbour, Diana Warren, who lives in a trailer directly across from the burned triplex, said she saw another neighbour try to get inside before the fire crews arrived.

"He went in, and kicked the door in, to see if there was anybody in there, and he got to the kids room, I don't know where it is, and he couldn't go any further, because the flames were so bad," she said.