This weekend in Vancouver: On the Coast's 5 top picks
Metro Vancouver events for the weekend of April 11 to 13, 2014
1. Soweto Gospel Choir, Vancouver
The world-famous, Grammy-winning African gospel choir is in Vancouver this weekend. The 24-voice choir has previously sung with the likes of Bono, Peter Gabriel and Celine Dion. They sold out their last two concerts in Vancouver, and this time they're touring as a tribute to Nelson Mandela and to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the end of apartheid.
- Sunday, April 13.
- Queen Elizabeth Theatre , Vancouver.
2. The North Shore Writers Festival, North Vancouver
The festival features Vincent Lam, who won the Scotiabank Giller Prize for his collection of short stories, Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures.
Also featured are writers Roberta Rich, and Jen Sook-Fong Lee, who are panelists for discussions around writing and getting published. Plus you can test your knowledge of literature at the Literary Trivia Quiz on Friday.
- April 11-13.
- North Vancouver City Library, 120 W 14th St., North Vancouver.
3. Vancouver Hop, Vancouver
You can take part in talks and tours about art in the city, from Gastown to Chinatown to Main Street. Gallery curators, critics and artists in these neighbourhoods will discuss their work and talk about trends in contemporary art.
- April 12.
- Various locations in Vancouver.
4. Street Soccer Tournament, Vancouver
Vancouver Street Soccer League and the Vancouver Southsiders are hosting a tournament at Andy Livingstone Park to raise money for the Street Soccer League. Watch some fun, feisty and talented players on the astroturf.
- Saturday April 12, 10 a.m. PT.
- Andy Livingstone Park, Vancouver.
5. Vancouver Vaisakhi Parade
Head to South Vancouver for the celebration of the Sikh new year. Main Street from 49th to Marine Drive will be closed off for the festivities, and open for pedestrians. Go with an empty stomach as there is a lot of delicious food, along with dancing and performances along the parade route.
- 4 things to know before you go
- April 12, 11 a.m. PT.
- Ross Street Temple, 8000 Ross St at 64th Ave., Vancouver.