The body of a third victim was recovered last night from the site of the Johnsons Landing mudslide, the B.C. Coroners Service has confirmed.
"The body of Rachel Webber, 17, was recovered by searchers at about 6 p.m. on July 25, the first day of the resumption of recovery efforts. Ms. Webber was located near the front of what had been her family's home in Johnsons Landing, just outside the boundaries of the first search area," said a statement issued Thursday morning by the coroners service.
The bodies of Webber's father, Valentine, 60, and older sister Diana, 22, were recovered in the same area during searches on July 15 and 16, just a few days after the slide hit.
The search was then called off for several days, while officials reassessed the likelihood of finding either of the two remaining bodies. The search resumed on Wednesday.
A fourth body of a missing German resident, Petra Frehse, 64, has not been recovered, and the coroner said no further search will be carried out at the site because there is little chance of finding her body.
"A sizable excavation effort was completed at the former site of her residence but, because of the absence of artifacts recovered and due to the catastrophic impact of the slide at that site, the experts have concluded that there is no reasonable likelihood of locating her," said the statement.
The massive landslide destroyed three homes in the remote community in southeastern B.C. on July 12 shortly after 11 a.m. PT.
The slide on the shores of Kootenay Lake occurred after a month of heavy rain allowed a mountainside to give way, sending trees and rubble roaring through the hamlet.