Temporary Foreign Worker Program for fast-food sector suspended by Ottawa

Employment Minister Jason Kenney has announced an immediate moratorium on the fast-food industry's access to the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.

Federal Employment Minister Jason Kenney announces immediate moratorium, citing 'serious concerns'

The federal government has announced an immediate moratorium on the entire fast-food sector's access to the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, Kathy Tomlinson reports 4:43

Federal Employment Minister Jason Kenney has announced an immediate moratorium on the fast-food industry's access to the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.

The suspension, announced late Thursday afternoon, came shortly after the CBC told Kenney the CEO of McDonald's Canada had branded recent criticism of its use of temporary foreign workers "bullshit" in a conference call to franchisees.  

A recording of that call was given to the CBC.

In a written statement announcing the suspension, Kenney says "serious concerns" remain following a government investigation of the allegations raised about the program.

The CBC's Go Public has produced a series of stories reporting how some franchisees at McDonald's were allegedly abusing the program.

Kenney says the government investigated and suspended Labour Market Opinions (LMOs) that allowed a few employers to hire temporary foreign workers. And he says the employers were also placed on a public blacklist.

"Despite these actions, there remain serious concerns regarding the use of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program in the food services sector," Kenney says.

"As a result, I am announcing an immediate moratorium on the food services sector's access to the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. Accordingly, ESDC will not process any new or pending LMO applications related to the food services sector. In addition, any unfilled positions tied to a previously approved LMO will be suspended.

Kenney issues warning

The employment minister is also issuing a warning that program violations could be subject to criminal sanctions.

"Abuse of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program will not be tolerated," the statement says.

"Allegations of misuse will continue to be investigated...and those employers who are found to have lied about their efforts to hire Canadians could face potential criminal prosecution with sanctions that include fines and jail time."

A study by the C.D. Howe Institute found the program has increased the unemployment rate by nearly four per cent in British Columbia and Alberta, two provinces which have employed more temporary foreign workers than the rest of the country combined, in every year since 2007.

Kenney says the moratorium will remain in effect until his department completes its review.

On mobile? Click here to hear McDonald's CEO conference call

With files from the CBC's Kathy Tomlinson

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.