It's one thing to get a surprise toy with your Happy Meal, but this is something entirely different.
Two mothers from Mission, B.C. were watching their children in a McDonald's play area on Tuesday, when they discovered their young boys were playing with a syringe.
Camille Pickering's four -year-old son Alex was in McDonald's PlayPlace with some friends he had just made, when she spotted part of a syringe in his hand.
"I couldn't believe that it was in a child's play area, that someone had placed it there," said Pickering.
Carley Rempel's two-year-old son Knox was also in the PlayPlace. Knox had the plunger from the syringe in his hand.
"My first thought was Hep C... HIV," said Rempel. "Then I got really angry, thinking of all places to shoot up, why would you have to do it in a McDonald's PlayPlace?"
Rempel rounded up her son, cleaned him up in the washroom and took him to a doctor. Neither boy showed any signs of infection.
The families also searched the area for a needle, but they only found burned foil in addition to the plunger and casing from the syringe. The casing had dried blood on it.
Both the parents and restaurant staff called the RCMP and McDonald's closed the PlayPlace immediately.
Staff cleaned the play area with hospital-grade materials and the area has now been inspected and approved by police and a health inspector.
Video surveillance has been increased and the PlayPlace will be locked at night.
The restaurant has also apologized to both families, but despite the actions McDonald's has taken, both families say they won't go back.
"There's other places to go and play. And we've got a huge backyard. Chickens to play with. He'll be fine," said Pickering.
"I just want other moms to know what happened in case something like this happens again," said Remple.
"So other moms can be aware. I will not go back and take him back to somewhere like that again."