SUV and TransLink bus collide head-on in Massey Tunnel
One man was taken to hospital with serious injuries, multiple TransLink buses were rerouted
Richmond RCMP are investigating a serious crash involving an SUV and a TransLink bus on the north side of the George Massey Tunnel, which closed the northbound route and resulted in a number of buses being rerouted Friday afternoon and evening.
According to Cpl. Robert McDonald, with Lower Mainland District Traffic Services, the SUV collided head-on with a northbound bus.
McDonald says the driver of the SUV has been taken to local hospital with serious injuries. There are no reports of injuries to other passengers.
According to a TransLink media release, the incident involved the 620 Bridgeport Station/Tsawwassen Ferry bus.
The TransLink release also says the following northbound buses were being rerouted to the Alex Fraser Bridge until midnight:
- 311 Bridgeport Station/Scottsdale
- 351 Bridgeport Station/Sullivan
- 352 Bridgeport Station/Ocean Park
- 354 White Rock South/White Rock Centre/Bridgeport Station
- 404 Richmond-Brighouse Station/Ladner Exchange
- 601 Bridgeport Station/1 A Ave
- 602 Bridgeport Station/Tsawwassen Heights
- 603 Beach Grove/Bridgeport Station
- 604 English Bluff/Bridgeport Station
- 620 Bridgeport Station/Tsawwassen Ferry
The cause of the collision is under investigation.
The tunnel was closed to northbound traffic for several hours and drivers were advised to find alternate routes until it reopened at around 10 p.m. PT.