A 44-year-old man was killed in an apparent targeted home invasion in Surrey, B.C. Saturday night, marking what is thought to be the city's 21st homicide this year.
Firefighters and paramedics were called to the basement of a home in the 2600 block of King George Boulevard around 11 p.m. to aid the man, who had been injured.
The man, who has not been identified, was rushed to Peace Arch Hospital but he was later pronounced dead.
The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) is now investigating, after first responders reported the circumstances of the victim's injuries as suspicious.
Sgt. Adam MacIntosh said the team took over the case based on an initial investigation by Surrey police.
"Although we are in the initial stages of the investigation, we can state at this time, this was a targeted home invasion," said MacIntosh.
He said both the victim and the house where he was found were known to police.
Anyone with information or who saw anything suspicious in the area is asked to contact IHIT at 1-877-551-4448 or by email at email@example.com. To remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or online.
A previous version of this story incorrectly stated this was Surrey 22nd homicide of 2013. It was actually the 21st.Nov 12, 2013 12:53 PM PT