Surrey, B.C., shooting victim ID'd by police

Vancouver police have identified the man who was shot and killed by RCMP in Surrey, B.C., on Wednesday as 23-year-old Brendon Samuel Beddow.

Brendon Beddow shot by RCMP responding to domestic dispute in Crescent Beach

A Surrey, B.C., man may have saved the life of a woman when he offered her refuge from a man with a gun, the CBC's Kirk Williams reports 2:03

Vancouver police have identified the man who was shot and killed by RCMP in Surrey, B.C., on Wednesday as 23-year-old Brendon Samuel Beddow.

Beddow was shot by one or more RCMP officers responding to a domestic dispute in the Crescent Beach area of South Surrey on Wednesday. The Vancouver Police Department took over the investigation shortly after.

The incident began at 2 p.m. PT on Wednesday when a woman called 911 to report a domestic disturbance in the 3000 block of McBride Avenue, Const. Lindsey Houghton said in a written statement.

"Two members arrived moments later and were confronted by a man," Houghton said.

"The man was shot by police and died a short time later outside the house."

Some witnesses told CBC News they heard four shots fired.

Girlfriend was 'terrified': neighbour

Patti Caplette lives across the street from the house on McBride Avenue known as Casa Linda, where the shooting occurred.

Caplette said the house's owners were in Arizona, but she recognized the woman involved in the altercation as the granddaughter of the owners. The woman and her boyfriend were staying at the home and arguing all week, Caplette said. 

But on Wednesday afternoon, the woman became hysterical.

"She ran next door — there were some men that were building the house next door — and she asked them to call 911. She was terrified," Caplette said.

The granddaughter screamed one phrase seven or eight times so loud that she was going hoarse, Caplette said.

"It was her that was screaming, 'Get out of my ---ing house,' I mean, at the top of her lungs, really angry — what I thought was angry, but I guess she was really afraid."

Caplette came out from her yard to the street. She said the roofers working next door called 911 and when police arrived, Beddow came out of the house with a gun. Caplette watched the police crouch down as they moved across the street and behind a small fence.

"I was in a bit of a shock. I just stood there, watched them unbutton their holsters, get their guns out, yelling at him to put down the gun."

Shots fired

Caplette turned to flee and then heard a shot. She dropped her gardening tools and ran into the house. She heard another shot as she reached the front door.

The phone rang: It was her husband calling from his office just down the road, telling her to get to the back of the house.

"I heard gunshots, but it wasn't registering because I was trying to listen to him on the phone."

"I don't know how many shots there were," Caplette said.

When it was quiet, Caplette went back outside. When police opened the gate at the front of the house, Caplette caught a glimpse of Beddow, lying in the doorway.

Witnesses at the scene said police performed CPR on Beddow after the shooting. Paramedics and a helicopter ambulance were called in, but he died.

Police have not yet confirmed whether Beddow fired his weapon before he was shot.

On Thursday, Vancouver police returned to the neighbourhood to seek additional witnesses.