B.C. premier's top staffer resigns amid 'ethnic vote' controversy
Kim Haakstad had offered advice and input on Liberals' 'Multicultural Strategy'
CBC News
Posted: Mar 1, 2013 6:02 PM PT
Last Updated: Mar 2, 2013 6:05 PM PT
British Columbia Premier Christy Clark's deputy chief of staff has resigned, days after the leak of a controversial document outlining the Liberals' plan to win ethnic votes in the upcoming provincial election.
Kim Haakstad had offered advice and input during the drafting stages of the Liberals' "Multicultural Strategy" revealed in documents leaked by the NDP earlier this week.
The documents were originally sent from Haakstad's email account in January last year and revealed a proposed outreach plan involving the premier's office, the Multiculturalism Ministry, the government caucus and the B.C. Liberal Party.
Clark, who accepted Haakstad's resignation Friday night, maintains she didn't know who crafted the controversial document and said she has asked for a review to ensure no government resources were inappropriately used.
Martyn Brown, who served as former premier Gordon Campbell's chief of staff, calls the documenting of such a strategy "politically stupid" and inane.
"The premier, to this moment as I speak, doesn't seem to grasp the scope and magnitude of the damage she's done to her party and to all the people she's serving," he said.
B.C. government probe
Meanwhile, the B.C. government has announced the terms of reference for an investigation into the scandal.
Deputy Premier Rich Coleman said yesterday he might have results from the investigation within 24 hours.
However, it now appears it will take longer because the terms of reference don't give a deadline for the final report, saying only that the findings will be reported as fast as possible.
John Dyble, deputy minister to the premier, will head a team that will conduct interviews and review documents related to the ethnic vote plan, and the investigation will cover the premier's office and several ministries, including the one dealing with multiculturalism.
But NDP House Leader John Horgan said the review falls short because it doesn't include the Liberal Party or the party caucus.
Riding association presidents step down
Haakstad's resignation comes as the presidents of three Liberal riding associations in Surrey — Fleetwood, Whalley and Green Timbers — stepped down.
The Liberals, however, were quick to point out two of them quit well before the ethnic votes scandal blew up.
Peter Fassbender, the candidate in Surrey-Fleetwood, said his riding president, Brenda Locke, appears to have resigned over personal issues.
Clark apologized in a written statement on Thursday for the language used in the document.
It outlined "quick wins" for the Liberals, such as making apologies in the legislature for historical wrongs, specifically mentioning the 1914 Komagata Maru incident, which saw a ship carrying 356 passengers forced to return to India after a two-month standoff in Vancouver Harbour.
"The document did not recognize there are lines that cannot be crossed in conducting this outreach and it is unacceptable," Clark's statement read.
"The language in this draft document and some of the recommendations are absolutely inappropriate."
B.C.'s next provincial election is slated for May.
With files from The Canadian PressShare Tools
Latest British Columbia News Headlines
- Avalanche danger 'extreme' this weekend
- Avalanche danger has been elevated to extreme this weekend across much of the province. more »
- Police investigate possible abduction in Surrey, B.C.
- The RCMP are investigating a possible abduction outside a mall in Surrey, B.C., on Saturday night. more »
- Daniel Sedin, Jannik Hansen lead Canucks past Kings
- Daniel Sedin and Jannik Hansen scored 2:44 apart late in the second period to lead the Vancouver Canucks to a 5-2 victory over the red-hot Los Angeles Kings on Saturday night. more »
- Man dead in possible homicide
- A 47-year-old man is dead after an altercation outside the Ivanhoe Pub on Main Street near National Avenue late Friday night, police say. more »
Top News Headlines
- Body of man found in home where police officer was killed
- The lifeless body of a man has been found inside a home in northern Quebec, ending a 17-hour standoff that left one police officer dead and another seriously injured on Saturday night. more »
- Pakistan bomb outside mosque kills 37
- Police say a car bomb has killed at least 37 people and wounded another 141 in a neighborhood dominated by Shia Muslims in the southern Pakistan city of Karachi. more »
- Liberal MPs Murray and Garneau challenge frontrunner Trudeau
- In the fourth of five federal Liberal leadership debates, carried live on CBC News Network, eight candidates made a last-ditch effort to shore up support for their campaigns. more »
- Canadian film, TV in spotlight for final Screen Awards gala
- The inaugural Canadian Screen Awards ramp up to a big finale Sunday evening with a televised gala hosted by comedian Martin Short and a final batch of awards largely focusing on cinematic achievements. more »
- B.C. Liberals grapple with resignations amid 'ethnic vote' conflict
- Man dead in possible homicide
- Chinese community outraged at Liberal 'ethnic vote' plan
- B.C. premier's top staffer resigns amid 'ethnic vote' controversy
- Blind man discriminated against in 10K run: tribunal
- 17-year-old man stabbed in Surrey
- Police investigate possible abduction in Surrey, B.C.
- 1 killed, 16 injured in crash west of Kamloops
- U.S. retailer brings parity pricing to B.C. stores
